- Mazafati Dates aka Kimia or Bam Dates are shiny black, fleshy, juicy with smooth texture and savory taste. Around 30 commercial varieties of Dates are cultivated in Iran by far most demanded is Mazafati Dates.
- The high quality Mazafati Dates are 3.5 -4.5 centimeters (1.4-1.8 inches) long with 2.2-2.5 cm (0.9 -1 inches) diameter round and medium sized Mazafati Dates, are 2.5-3.5 centimeters (1-1.4 inches) long, with 2 -2.3 cm (0.8-0.9 inches)Diagonal round .
- Color: The raw Mazafati Dates have reddish shade and become dark red for partially ripped and they are shiny black when become fully-grown.
- Around 120,000 tons of the Mazafati Dates are harvested annually and half of this is from BAM’s palm lands with altitude of 1200 meters. The other regions with high production of Mazafai Dates all are located in south east of Iran Saravan , Narmashir , Jirft ,Kahnuj and Nikshahr
- Primarily, Mazafati Dates is high demand in local market and the best quality (larger one with more juice) presented in Iran’s supermarkets.
- The moisture of ripped Mazafati Dates is between 18% to 32% which depends on climate condition from Month of early MAY to late AUGUST, in this period raining quantity effects on size and Mazafati composition. Target moisture for exporting goods is between 18%-22% (as low quality Dates in 10kg bulk cartons) and 22%-27% which packed in 600 gr boxes. The Bigger and juicy Dates which have 27%-32% moisture are forwarded to local cold storages for domestic market.
- In last 20 years Having climate control systems such as reefer containers and cold storage makes it impossible to keep the Mazafati Dates for a long period of time. This Cold chain from hot summer to almost next crop facilitates the transportation and packaging
- By drying Dates in traditional and industrial methods, the amount of water in it decreases to increase its storage capacity.
- Harvesting period: August – October. The Mazafatiis grown in late August. When they are ripped in late August to mid-September they have a relatively high moisture content of 32-35%. The moisture level depends on the harvest time, the location of cultivation and irrigation.
- Typically, Mazafti Dates are harvested in 3 phases. Unlike the other varieties of Dates Mazafati Dates picked by hand (and not by cutting the bunches) , in last week of August.
first phase picking is done, generally the medium to good quality Dates are picked, after 7-10 days second picking is done and supreme quality are got in this phase then after 7 days the final phase is done by cutting the whole bunch.
- Just after picking the harvested fruits are stuffed in small boxes usually 48 pcs in 3 row of 16 Dates and each 12 boxes stuffed in a master carton. Then the cartons are delivered to cold storage. In order to prolong the shelf life of goods the cold storage temperature is -10.
- Based on availability and customer orders we process the Dates basically by checking the weight and visual inspection. From mid-September we start transport our customer orders.
- The storage condition has a direct impact on the shelf life and perfection of the Dates. We set the coldness at -10C to -5C for getting 2 years of shelf life.
- Shipping Condition: We arrange every step of transportation, from stuffing the Dates in reefer truck to loading in reefer containers in port to keep cold Chain.